"The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John
Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at
Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes.
The company took the name Doulton in 1853.
By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, had launched a studio at
the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from a l
ocal art school. Their names included the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall, Eliza Simmance,
and George Tinworth. Then in 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire,
which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.
By this time Doulton had become one of the most popular brands
of stoneware and ceramics, under the artistic direction of John Slater,
who worked across a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces, many designed by the prolific and popular Leslie
Harradine. Doulton products also came to the attention of the Royal family. In 1901 King Edward VII granted the
Burslem factory the Royal Warrant, which allowed the business to adopt new markings and a new name, Royal Doulton."
READ MORE ON THE HISTORY OF ROYAL DOULTON